Do you like having fish in your swimming pool? Then you probably would have enjoyed taking a dip in the ancient roman emperor’s bath. Depending on how open-minded you were, fish wouldn’t be the only thing grazing your nethers.
Roman kinks aside, however, swimming pools have been around for quite some time. In fact, in 1742 when the public pool debuted, it was the reserve of men. Meanwhile, ‘waiters’ walked around offering swimming lessons to old men. Hmmm…
Happy Swimming Pool Day
The intentions of chauvinistic 1742 men aside, today we celebrate swimming pools and the one time it is acceptable to walk around with your parts almost showing. It is time for our characters to get a little wet.
11th July Writing Prompts
In honor of Swimming Pool Day, write an original story involving the following scenarios.
- Your character volunteers at the local pool to check out the hot new lifeguard.
- A new water park has opened in the area where the public can swim with dangerous aquatic wildlife.
- While at a public pool, your character drowns and washes up on the shores of an ancient Greek town.
- The character in your story is a lifeguard who is allergic to water.
- Your character is a mermaid with the ability to make every sexist man, within a two-mile radius, pee on themselves involuntarily.
Remember to use the tag ‘dailywitheli’ so that I can add your story to my word prompt hall of fame. You do not have to attempt all of the prompts. However, if and when inspiration strikes, do follow the muse.
For today’s prompt, we are tackling Flash Fiction. This is a story with 701 to 1500 words. Therefore, as always, try your best to stick within the confines of the word count.
Take time to stretch, walk, grab a drink of water and get back into it. You can also take a dip in the pool to be one with your subject. Just remember to leave your gadgets out of the water.
All in all, have fun with today’s writing prompts. To my swimmer babies out there, keep your eyes open and your mouth closed at all times. Someone always pees in the pool, always.
Do you like what I do? Then consider supporting me on Ko-fi.